CMT REVEALS MOST AMBITIOUS PROGRAMMING SLATE TO DATE FEATURING TWO NEW COMEDIES WITH BILLY RAY CYRUS & KELLIE PICKLER, FIRST-EVER NIGHTLY TALK SHOW AND UNPRECEDENTED NASCAR EVENT NARRATED BY DALE EARNHARDT JR.
Returning Specials, Hits and New Acquisitions Include 'CMT Music Awards,'
'CMT Artists of the Year,' 'CMT Championship Kickoff Party,' 'Party Down South,'
'Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge,' and 'Friday Night Lights'
New York, April 2, 2015 – Having recently scored its biggest hits to date, CMT continues to expand an impressive slate of original programming with five new series, a NASCAR event and several returning favorites, it was announced today at the network’s annual Upfront presentation held at The TimesCenter in New York City. The new originals include two comedies: “Still The King” starring singer-songwriter/actor Billy Ray Cyrus and a forthcoming series “I Love Kellie Pickler” (working title) featuring country singer Kellie Pickler and her husband Kyle Jacobs produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions. CMT will launch its first-ever nightly talk show, “The Josh Wolf Show,” starring comedian Josh Wolf and produced by Chelsea Handler. Also coming to CMT are “The Ed Bassmaster Show,” starring YouTube phenomenon Ed Bassmaster; “Gainesville,” a coming of age docu-series from the award-winning producers of “Brick City”; and “American Speed: The True Story of NASCAR,” a first of its kind limited series event that gives fans an unparalleled look at NASCAR narrated by Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Beginning this spring, CMT will premiere new seasons of fan favorites “Party Down South,” “Party Down South 2,” and “Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge,” as well as must-see music events: “CMT Music Awards,” “CMT Artists of the Year,” and “CMT Championship Kickoff Party.” Additionally, the entire series of the highly lauded ensemble drama “Friday Night Lights” starring Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton will begin airing in May.
“CMT is on fire. We are producing more original content than ever before and have a rich pipeline of fresh and innovative ideas,” said Jayson Dinsmore, Executive Vice President, Development for CMT. “This year, we're enlisting some of the biggest names in the industry to unleash a groundbreaking new programming slate including epic events and music specials, a bold scripted comedy and brilliant documentaries.”
New original series and specials premiering this spring include:
• “Gainesville” (May 14) – From an Emmy Award-winning documentary team comes “Gainesville,” a docu-series following a tight-knit group of friends in small town Florida as they attempt to transition into adulthood. “Gainesville” is produced by Wheels Off Entertainment, a division of Brick City TV, with Yoav Attias, Nicholas Burnett, Daniel Levin and Alan Deutsch as executive producers. Jayson Dinsmore, Lewis Bogach and John Miller-Monzon executive produce for CMT.
• “The Josh Wolf Show” (June 11) – From executive producer Chelsea Handler comes “The Josh Wolf Show” – CMT's first original late night comedy series starring comedian Josh Wolf (best known for guest hosting “Chelsea Lately”). Airing nightly (Wednesday – Saturday) the topical comedy show features panel discussions, interviews and sketches with stars from the worlds of country, Hollywood and beyond. In addition to Handler, “The Josh Wolf Show” is executive produced by FREE 90 MEDIA's Brad Wollack and Tom Brunelle. Jayson Dinsmore and Julia Silverton executive produce for CMT.
• “The Ed Bassmaster Show” (June 17) – From the producers of MTV’s “Teen Wolf,” “Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life” and “The Andy Milonakis Show,” Ed Bassmaster is breaking out from YouTube to join CMT in his first-ever TV show where he’ll unleash an astonishing range of characters on unsuspecting members of the general public. With over 1.9 million YouTube subscribers and 472 million views, Bassmaster is fast becoming a household name known for his pranks and skits. “The Ed Bassmaster Show” is executive produced by Tony DiSanto and Liz Gateley through DiGa Vision. Additional executive producers include Adam Dolgins and Tom Gianis. Matt Trierweiler executive produces for CMT.
• “I Love Kellie Pickler” (working title) (September 18) – Kellie Pickler catapulted from small-town obscurity and became a household name thanks to “American Idol” and “Dancing With the Stars,” but has since gone on to become a country sensation and part of the CMT Family. Recognized and beloved for her quirky personality, uniquely hysterical witticisms and Southern charm, the series will follow her marriage to Kyle Jacobs – her complete opposite. “I Love Kellie Pickler” is produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions with executive producers Ryan Seacrest, Eugene Young, Rabih Gholam, Kellie Pickler and Kyle Jacobs. Jayson Dinsmore and Morgan Selzer executive produce for CMT.
Early next year (2016), CMT will debut:
• “Still The King” (timing TBD) – Starring Billy Ray Cyrus, the scripted comedy features Cyrus as Vernon Brown, AKA “Burnin’ Vernon,” a scandal-ridden washed up one-hit wonder who is kicked out of country music, only to emerge 20 years later as the second best Elvis impersonator in Laughlin, Nevada. After crashing into an old country church outside of Nashville during a drunken bender, he is sentenced to return and perform community service. Along the way, he pretends to be the congregation’s new minister and discovers he has a 15-year-old daughter he’s never met. “Still The King” is produced by HIDEOUT PICTURES with Billy Ray Cyrus serving as executive producer and writer. Shannon Houchins, Potsy Ponciroli and Travis Nicholson also executive produce. Julia Silverton and Jayson Dinsmore executive produce for CMT.
• “American Speed: The True Story of NASCAR” – The most in-depth high-octane account of the gritty true story behind NASCAR comes roaring to life in a first of its kind limited series narrated by two-time Daytona 500 winner and racing royalty Dale Earnhardt Jr. “American Speed: The True Story of NASCAR” is executive produced by Stephen David of Stephen David Entertainment and Zane Stoddard for NASCAR. Jayson Dinsmore, Lewis Bogach and John Miller-Monzon executive produce for CMT.
This spring/summer, CMT will premiere new seasons of returning favorites, including:
• “Party Down South 2” (May 14) – The crew returns for another unbridled and epic spring break in St. Petersburg, Fla. “Party Down South 2” is produced by 495 Productions with SallyAnn Salsano, Joel Zimmer, Kyle Simpson and Paul Storck serving as executive producers. Morgan Selzer and Jayson Dinsmore executive produce for CMT.
• “2015 CMT Music Awards” (June 10) – The biggest and loudest night in country music where stars of the genre and celebrity guests descend upon Nashville for an unforgettable night of performances and awards. The “2015 CMT Music Awards” are executive produced by John Hamlin and Margaret Comeaux for CMT, along with executive producer Michael Dempsey and director Joe DeMaio.
• “Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge” (August 2) – The ultimate badass competition show returns with host Steve Austin as he brings eight elite athletes to his Broken Skull Ranch to test their strength, stamina and endurance. Each episode sees contestants go head-to-head until the last man or woman standing earns the right to take on the toughest obstacle course in America, the ‘Skullbuster,’ for a chance to win $10,000 in cold, hard cash. “Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge” is produced by 51 Minds Entertainment with executive producers Christian Sarabia, Steve Austin and Vincent Cariati. Julia Silverton and Jayson Dinsmore executive produce for CMT.
• “Party Down South” (August 20) – Break out your beerzooka and start fishin’ for marlins as CMT’s biggest hit in its history returns for the loudest and wildest summer vacation yet. “Party Down South” is produced by 495 Productions with SallyAnn Salsano, Joel Zimmer, Kyle Simpson and Paul Storck serving as executive producers. Morgan Selzer and Jayson Dinsmore executive produce for CMT.
• “CMT Artists of the Year” (early December) – Nashville celebrates its own when “CMT Artists of the Year” returns for a sixth year to celebrate the top country acts of 2015. In an evening filled with performances and special celebrity guests, CMT applauds the honorees’ impact on the genre including sales, radio and touring accomplishments over the past year. “CMT Artists of the Year” is executive produced by John Hamlin and Margaret Comeaux for CMT.
• “CMT Championship Kickoff Party” (January) –“CMT Championship Kickoff Party” is an officially sanctioned, 90-minute concert special live from the host city of the College Football Playoff National Championship. In a weekend full of parties, CMT and a list of superstar friends kick it off with the biggest, loudest party of all. John Hamlin and Margaret Comeaux serve as executive producers for CMT.
For more information on all CMT programming, events and specials, visit CMT.com or CMTPress.com.
CMT, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), is the leading television and digital authority on country music and entertainment, reaching more than 92 million homes in the U.S. CMT, CMT.com and CMT Radio offer an unparalleled mix of music, news, live concerts and series and are the top resource for country music on demand. The network’s digital platforms include the 24-hour music channel, CMT Pure Country, CMT App, CMT Mobile and CMT VOD.
# # #